After we adopted Sarah we thought our family was complete. Then when she was two I felt prompted to put our paperwork in again. I expected that when I shared this information with Mike he would talk me out of it. So one evening when he was sitting on the couch I told him of my promptings and he turned to me and said "I have had the same feelings". So we contacted our caseworker at LDS Family Services and started getting our home study up to date.
This adoption process was to be very different than when we adopted Sarah. When our paperwork with Sarah was done they told us to go home and wait because it was taking an average of 6 months to match adoptive parents with a baby. We went home happy at the thought that we could be expecting in about six months. The very next week to the day we received a call that a birthmother had chosen us and wanted to meet us the next day because she was due in 10 days.
Our homestudy for this second adoption did not take as long but then we waited and waited. Then a friend from church told us of a young mother she worked with that was very interested in placing her baby she was pregnant with. We gave her the information packet about our family and she had wanted to place with us. She was pregnant with a little boy. This seemed so perfect it felt as though our family could be complete. This was also exciting because he had no health problems and we knew that because we already had two birthchildren we would have to adopt from the special needs catagory through LDS Family Services. I was getting so exciting at the prospect of having a son and feeling complete. I truly fell in love with the thought of this little guy with all my heart. Then the week before he was to be born the birthmom got back together with her boyfriend and decided to keep her baby. This was heart wrenching for me. I cried for days and felt though my heart could not be mended. He was born on Monday November 6th and on Friday November 10th we received a call from a caseworker at LDS Family Services about a baby boy who was born in Dallas, was only 3 pounds 11 oz. and was born with a genetic condition called Cornelia Delange Syndrome. I had never heard of this syndrome and looked it up on the internet. I was at mom and dad's and after I looked the information over I remember Dad saying so what did you find. I told him it did'nt look good. He said we love you and will support you and Mike in whatever decision you make. Mike and I prayed. I told Mike that I felt if I could just see him I would know if he was to be our son and if I knew this we could get through anything that his syndrome would send our way. We called the caseworker back and arranged to see Jacob. As we walked over to his little bassinet we could see how little he was. I started to talk to him and he grabbed my hand and when he did this he grabbed my heart and I knew he was my son. Then next day we signed adoption papers. We spent the next 21 days driving back and forth to Dallas to hold him and feed him. His only problem in the NICU was fedding and reflux.
The day we met him as we were driving home from the hospital I realized that Jacob was born the day we would have brought home the first baby we tried to adopt. He was sent to heal my heart and everyday since then I am so greatful for my gift~Jacob.
No comments:
Post a Comment