When I was young the thing I wanted to become the most was a mother. This was probably because I noticed at an early age the influence a mother could have on her children good or bad. I saw this contrast because growing up I had a mother who had unconditional love for her children and I was also raised with foster siblings who usually lived with us due to bad parenting.
In my life I have been blessed to know many wonderful mothers and I have learned from each of them, I want to focus on the mothers in my family. First there is my mom who raised six children and helped to raise countless other children. She raised us to know we have a Heavenly Father who loves us, taught us to pray, taught through her actions to give service to those all around us. There is my Grams, although she passed away several years ago, I think of her often and the thing that comes to me about her is that she did not stop being a mother when her children were grown. She was a grandmother who taught her grandchildren and great grand children many things. She lived with us until I was about 11 and she taught me to tie my shoes, to shop at the store, she taught me a hard work ethic, she made each of us feel so important, and she is remembered and cherished by her posterity. Then there is my sister who I look up to and respect. She and I have shared many "mother" experiences including the frustrations of infertility, the beauty of adoption and the hardship/fun of going back to college to finish what we started many years ago. I am so thankful to have her as my sister! My four sister-in-laws are next, I love each of them for loving and caring for my brothers. This passed year each of them have been busy, Amy has raised 5 wonderful children with her youngest child graduating form high school and now has a grandson. Gail has endured my brother being out of town while she did the bulk of caring for their blended family of five children. Allison has endured the pain and joys of having a child who has had to have two open heart surgeries while still caring for her older three children. Katrina has cared for her three children while Matt's work has taken him out of town for weeks at a time and has been a wonderful example of motherhood to her sisters. I honor, love and respect each of these women.
Being a mother is one of the hardest yet the most rewarding experience of my life. I am so greatful to have these wonderful women in my family as examples to me of motherhood. Thank you! Happy Mother's Day!
1 comment:
Thanks Rachel. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You are an amazing example of selflessness and pure love of a mother.
Love,
Allison
Post a Comment