With our weather yo-yowing all winter Hannah has had a lot of respiratory issues, but the last three weeks have been different. I have always given her 9 pm feeding to her while she is in bed because she is usually asleep by then and she also has continuous feeds through the night. She had a Nissen and G-button put in when she was one month old due to a life threatening reflux-aspiration event. Jacob is 8 and has never had a problem with his Nissen, but through the CDLS online support group I knew that many kids have had to have revisions. She has been having problems with a gurgling cough and this only happens at night. Mike and I both felt that she was most likely refluxing and that formula was getting in her throat at night. So I made an appointment and we saw our pediatrician yesterday. She agreed that it may be reflux and ordered a radiology procedure to see if it was and sent us home with a prescription for prevacid while we wait. Then last night the doctor's office called and said they were able to get her in for the procedure in the am. Our children's hospital is a regional one and it usually takes a while to get in for radiology tests, I was glad we would not have to wait to long to find out if we were right or if we were worrying needlessly. So I went this morning and she had the test done. The test was not bad and it only took about 45 minutes but the radiology tech did tell me that she in fact was refluxing but that our doctor should have all of the results tomorrow morning. I loaded Hannah up in the van and started to drive home. I could not help but have a good cry. I think the hardest part of having a child with medical special needs is finding out there is another procedure or surgery that your child may have to have. It is hard to see your children go through the physical trials and pain. We do not know yet if medication and a change in feeding schedule will do the trick or if she will have to have surgery again. I guess it does not help that this week marks one year since Jacob had his cardiac arrest and was fighting for his life. That was THE hardest trial I have personally been through. I do know that my Heavenly Father loves me and that he loves Hannah and He will not give us anything we can not handle. I can't help but feel His hand in guiding us to the doctor and in getting us in for testing so soon. So as hard as it is to get bad news I am so thankful for the promptings that I get as a mom so that I can get the best possible care for my children. The greatest lesson I learned last year was that Hope is a very powerful tool! So I will hope that Hannah will be alright and that we will continue to be blessed to know how to take care of her.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Just when you think all is calm.......
With our weather yo-yowing all winter Hannah has had a lot of respiratory issues, but the last three weeks have been different. I have always given her 9 pm feeding to her while she is in bed because she is usually asleep by then and she also has continuous feeds through the night. She had a Nissen and G-button put in when she was one month old due to a life threatening reflux-aspiration event. Jacob is 8 and has never had a problem with his Nissen, but through the CDLS online support group I knew that many kids have had to have revisions. She has been having problems with a gurgling cough and this only happens at night. Mike and I both felt that she was most likely refluxing and that formula was getting in her throat at night. So I made an appointment and we saw our pediatrician yesterday. She agreed that it may be reflux and ordered a radiology procedure to see if it was and sent us home with a prescription for prevacid while we wait. Then last night the doctor's office called and said they were able to get her in for the procedure in the am. Our children's hospital is a regional one and it usually takes a while to get in for radiology tests, I was glad we would not have to wait to long to find out if we were right or if we were worrying needlessly. So I went this morning and she had the test done. The test was not bad and it only took about 45 minutes but the radiology tech did tell me that she in fact was refluxing but that our doctor should have all of the results tomorrow morning. I loaded Hannah up in the van and started to drive home. I could not help but have a good cry. I think the hardest part of having a child with medical special needs is finding out there is another procedure or surgery that your child may have to have. It is hard to see your children go through the physical trials and pain. We do not know yet if medication and a change in feeding schedule will do the trick or if she will have to have surgery again. I guess it does not help that this week marks one year since Jacob had his cardiac arrest and was fighting for his life. That was THE hardest trial I have personally been through. I do know that my Heavenly Father loves me and that he loves Hannah and He will not give us anything we can not handle. I can't help but feel His hand in guiding us to the doctor and in getting us in for testing so soon. So as hard as it is to get bad news I am so thankful for the promptings that I get as a mom so that I can get the best possible care for my children. The greatest lesson I learned last year was that Hope is a very powerful tool! So I will hope that Hannah will be alright and that we will continue to be blessed to know how to take care of her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Poor Hannah. I'm very glad you were able to get the test asap. Please keep us updated when you get the full results.
I'm calling you...
Kirsten
Wow! Rachel, how scary, I'm so sorry! All that you said is correct about the promptings and the finding out is better than not knowing and having something worse happen....but still heart breaking and worrisom! I love you and I love your testimony through it all and I too know that your Father in Heaven and Savior love you and each of your precious children and he is there for you! You are an amazing mother and and inspired daughter of God and keep your hope!!!! There is always Hope! Love you....call me if I can do anything...I'll check on you in a couple of days! You're not alone!
mason too has been struggling with refluxing through his nissen... and i have been on edge with worry that he will have to have it repaired..... and we too almost lost mason when he was 5 weeks old and i am terrified of surgery!!! but so far, we have kept his reflux at bay with medication, elevation and slower feeds.. it has been a struggle, but i am hoping this gets him through!!
please do let us know about what everything! i will be praying that this can all be handeled with meds and schedule change!!
Post a Comment