Family

Wordle: family

Sunday, February 1, 2009

CDLS Blog Challenge

What kind of jerry-rigging or child-proofing have you done at home to meet the needs of your child with CdLS? This could be a serious or comical post.

We haven't had to do much but here are the few things we have done.

1.We keep certain paths in the house free and clear because Jacob's vision is very poor and he does not see objects in the floor unless he is looking down. Boy, does he get mad if there is something that gets in his way!

2. We keep child safety handles on the door going to the laundry room and the garage.
Jacob like to let himself out or likes to get inside the dryer.


3. We keep a door bumper on his closet door because he likes to go inside and shut the door. He is not able to open the door from the inside and the bumper makes it so he can not shut the door at all.

4. There have been times we have had to tie a pillowcase over his pump at night because he would push all the buttons and the alarms would go off.

5. We had to put the child saftey lock on the door of our van where he sits because one day last summer I was driving down a busy road and he reached down and opened the door. He laughed himself silly but I did not find it so funny. Thank goodness his car seat is bolted in the car.

6. Jacob sleeps in a twin bed that used to be the top of a bunk bed set so it had rails on one side and Mike added rails to the other side. When he did not have the rails he felt compeled to get up and this would go on all night so for us the rails work and Jacob just knocks on his wall or bed when he wants up.

6 comments:

Lois Brown said...

The drier is funny...cute picture...but I'm sure also dangerous as you said! He must like close tight places? Thanks for sharing these sometimes we forget what your challenges are that you face every day.... and I bet with each one of your special beautiful children you have a different set of challenges! Wow! I don't know if I ever told you this before but I had a phychologist (sp?) tell me one time when I went to counseling that having a disable child was not just one child...it was the same as 3 so I always considered myself the mother of 5 instead of 3. I know that made me feel better somehow...so I don't know if it will you are not...but you could consider yourself the mother of 12! That puts a different perspective on it doesn't it?

heidi @ ggip said...

I used to play in the dryer when I was a little kid. My mom didn't know that we did it and was completely appalled when she found out years later.

I like your idea of having rails on both sides of a twin bed. I think a lot of kids feel safer with rails and it sure did seem to do the trick for Jacob and sleeping.

It will be interesting to see what type of child proofing we will need to do. There seems to be a wide range from the few blogs I've read. It is always good to have ideas on how to deal with things ahead of time.

Thanks so much for your post!

~Rachel said...

Lois you are always so supportive. You probably have many stories from throughout the years of things you have modified for Aileen. You are such a good example of enduring to the end. I know it is not easy to be at the empty nesters phase in life and still have to care for Aileen. You are a great mother and I know she will be eternally grateful for you and Allen's sacrifices.

Misty said...

i have a pic of me in the drier too!!!!!!!! are you on facebook?? i remember seeing this picture there!! i will have to look for you!!!

thanks for the info for us newbies. i haven't had to 'babyproof' the house yet... sometimes i wonder if mason will ever become mobile. but i know that i better enjoyd these days of nonmibility for as long as they are going to last!

love the pic!

oh and i meant to tell you that it is so awesome that you lived in denver! if you ever make it down this way, you will have to let me know! we live in the springs, but we go to denver a lot!

Rachelle said...

It is so great that everyone can make adjustments when it comes to child proofing the home. Like I said in my post ~ it has become our normal. Love the picture in the dryer too! Also the photos of the kids turned out great ~ you have a gorgeous family!

cdlsva said...

Love the dryer pic...seems all our kids (and some of us!) are just fascinated with dryers :-)

He is such a cutie!